Friday, April 5, 2013

Book 20: Wonderful Wizard of Oz

What?  I didn't know that this was actually a book until several years ago.  And now I know why.  It's really not that great.  It's passable as a quick read and it certainly has some interesting elemants, but it's also got some odd diversions that add little to the story and not nearly enough of a few things.  The movie is so iconic at this point that I found it impossible to separate the movie version from the source.  And the movie is way way better.  In fact, I think the movie's superiority over the book exceeds any other adaptation I've seen.  This almost seems the opposite.  The movie isn't just better, it's far far superior.  I think these Oz books would have been largely forgotten if not for the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment