Monday, October 14, 2013

Book 59: The Time Machine by HG Wells

I've been putting away a few of the older classics (and not so classic) that clock in at a fairly minimal page count in hopes of getting to my now pipe dream of 100 books.  The Time Machine, one of my favorite childhood movies (not from my childhood, but watched several times on a lonely Saturday afternoon) fit the bill perfectly.  Although quite different from both movie versions in several ways, I found the book quite enjoyable.  Ultimately a cautionary tale about something that I've already kind of forgotten, it reads exceptionally well even now.  Wells seems to take delight in skewering the Luddites of his time while also portraying a dystopian future of an Industrial Age gone awry.  Surprisingly (to me anyway), it never felt dated or forced.  I heartily recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment