Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book 66: The Amber Spyglass

So I fell pretty short of my goal of 100 books.  I started strong, then work got in the way (and a couple of TV series that I invested in, namely homeland and finally finishing Dexter).  66 is a good number though.  I can't really get much symbolism from the last one, The Amber Spyglass.  I liked it,didn't love it.  The early parts were almost unreadable, but once Lyla comes back, it takes off.  Unfortunately, a couple of side stories are absolute snoozefests.  The crushing anti-religion element also gets fairly distracting.  Still, the story is strong enough at points to be a true page turner and I'm sure there's plenty of allegory (both obvious and not so obvious) that I missed or didn't care enough to notice.  Still, better than a lot of the final books of so called children/YA series that I've read with some good payoffs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment